Crisis Intervention Teams (CIT)
We are working with counties on establishing Crisis Intervention Teams and helping to coordinate trainings for the teams. This important course focuses on the field of law enforcement and its role in the mentally ill, drug or alcohol afflicted, and aging communities. The information, tools, and resources presented are designed to enhance first responder response and reduce the overall risk of injury or death.
Crisis Intervention Team Training Objectives:
• Provide information and resources to law enforcement personnel who find themselves handling calls involving emotionally disturbed individuals.
• Increase the ability of law enforcement to successfully manage an emotionally disturbed individual.
• Reduce the number of inappropriate incarcerations involving people with mental illness.
• Provide relief to an overburdened criminal justice system.
• Develop/implement a treatment response system for persons experiencing emotional or mental crisis.
• Develop/sustain officer interest and involvement on calls involving emotionally disturbed individuals.
• Continue to develop relationships between mental health providers, law enforcement and mentally ill individuals and their families.
"CIT: It's more than just training." -Major (ret.) Sam Cochran
“Great work on scenarios. I was not wanting to do this, but had fun. WAY TO GO.” Clatskanie Police Department
“Knowing all the people in the county got together for one common goal, to help people (scenario day).” Umatilla Tribal PD
“Learning about people’s interactions with LE made it easier to understand their perspective.” Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.
“I thought this was very successful and look forward to working on future classes”. Ontario Police Department.
“Enlightened me on what people are feeling-hearing or why they are acting the way they do”. Malheur County Jail
Oregon CIT Training Calendar
|Date||County||Program||Contact Name||Contact Email|
|January 8 - 12, 2018||Columbia||Columbia County CIT||Brianna Mares||[email protected]|
|January 22 - 27, 2018||Benton||Benton County CIT||Sgt. Randy Hiner||[email protected]|
|February 5 - 9, 2018||Deschutes||Deschutes County CIT||Melissa Thompson||[email protected]|
|Februay 12 - 16, 2018||Clackamas||Clackamas County CIT||Julie Collinson||[email protected]|
|February 7, 14, 21, 28 & March 7, 2018||Washington County||Washington County CIT||Jay Auslander||[email protected]|
|March 5 - 9, 2018||Coos||Coos County CIT||Ross Acker||[email protected]|